Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Teaching Reflections

As I try to reflect upon the lesson that my group used I can see both the good and bad of the way we chose to teach. For example I can see that keeping the students active by making it a race is helpful but I am questioning the social interaction. I can see that it would be a good opportunity to teach about teams and sportsmanship but allows for little one-on-one interaction. Also, with the booklet of words that start with each letter of the alphabet we were able to connect things that are familiar to the students and use the appropriate language. For younger students we could connect the letter M to the word mom. I'm not sure how concrete our lesson was or how we could have made it more concrete. I suppose if the students had to draw the letter that might have been more beneficial. Trying to teach and be informed by the learning theories leaves endless possibilities for how to teach the needed material. I feel as though my group did a good job of keeping what a kindergartner's ZPD could be in mind and tried to make connections to what would be familiar to the student's schema. Of course, based on the learning theories there is always much to improve on.

No comments:

Post a Comment