Sunday, December 5, 2010

Standardized Tests

I agree that while standardized tests have many positive aspects to them, they can hold a very negative connotation. I've lived in Iowa my whole life, which means, that growing up it was mandatory for me to take the ITEDS. Throughout elementary school the teachers spent a few moments each day during the week before to prepare us for the test taking ahead of us. At first, these tests were viewed as just mandatory and held little significance but each year this significance seemed to grow. Therefore, each year more time and rules were devoted to them. So, each year my motivation seemed to decrease as a response to the added stress. My school began to offer prizes and other rewards such as a pizza party to those who raised their score. By the time I was in junior high, each person who raised there score by a given amount was given a school t-shirt for school pride. I was always a good students and did my best and yet was not the best test taker so, I was incredibly embarrassed because my name was not read as one who had raised their score enough. I can remember dreading these tests by the last year that we had to take them. Due to my experience; I tend to think very negatively about standardized tests. The stress involved with the ITEDS seemed to follow me when I needed to take the ACT. Though my experience with the ACT was not negative. I barely tried though I was afraid that I would do terrible. My score was average and I was content yet my school and parents thought that I need to do better for potential colleges. I retook the ACT a couple more times and finished with a score of 24.
Being able to take a step back and reflect upon my experience allows me to realize that standardized tests can create a lot of stress for students though they hold positive aspects. I think that standardized tests can be used in education if used appropriately. I do not agree with my elementary and junior high school because they gave rewards based upon a student's ability to raise their score so far. This causes students to focus on points alone and does not allow for much positive motivation. I think we also need to consider what each tests is assessing. Often it seems as though standardized tests are assessing how well a student can test take or connect the information within the test instead of how much they know about the actual material. I also disagree with schools who take extended time to learn material for these tests. Students should simply be taught the appropriate test taking skills. If we monitor what we are assessing with standardized tests and how we are motivating our students; standardized tests could be used within eduction.

No comments:

Post a Comment